Transition Epping 2012 Update
To find out more about us email email@example.com and ask to be put on our regular e-newsletter list which has news and event updates.
• Future Events in 2012: Events for the remainder of 2012 include a film night , a local bushwalk and a workshop to learn some practical skills. We have regular get-togethers to weed our community gardens and post-weeding coffee. We will also participate in local fairs and stalls eg the North Epping Street Fair, where members of the local community are able to sell their produce or craftwork..
• Buy Local Campaign Transition Epping is an avid campaigner for Buy Local in order to promote the concept of a reduction in costs of travel (both financial and environmental). We are looking at how to promote this in the community.
• Valuable Trees: Transition Epping is also concerned that with a change in the Hornsby Council tree preservation order the protection for many of our beautiful trees in Epping is lost. We plan to compile a list of significant trees in North Epping to submit to Council to encourage them to consider compiling a list for the whole of Epping. If you would like to be involved then please contact Sandra on 0438 415 715 or else email a photo of the tree with its location to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Epping North Public School vegie garden working bee in March 2012 was a big success! Over 20 families joined Transition Epping committee members on a fabulous sunny day in March to revamp the garden under the guidance of Cameron Little, principal of Sustainability Systems and well-known permaculturalist. A parent/community committee to manage the garden will be set up soon. If interested please contact parent Michelle Stern on 9877 0237 or email email@example.com.
• Herb planting at Forest Park in Forest Grove, Epping. On the Saturday 28 April from 10 am to noon, more than a dozen people turned up to plant herbs in the raised brick fence at Forest Park on 28 April. There was lots of enthusiasm and everyone pitched in to turn an eyesore into a community benefit. If you live nearby, please help care for the plants. In spring they should be ready for some harvesting!
2011 and 2012: Past and ongoing projects include:
- North Epping Shopping Village garden This project has seen the transformation of the carpark with the planting of herbs, fruit trees and native food plants. Transition Epping received a Bendigo Bank grant for $3,277 for this project.
- Solar panel buying scheme Transition Epping negotiated with Origin Energy for discount solar PV panels. If you are interested in the deal, please either email Mike du Plessis at firstname.lastname@example.org or give him a call on 0402 310 306.
- Local bus service Researching efficiency options for the local 295 bus service linking North Epping with Epping station and Macquarie Shopping Centre. We have a report on this which we are all reading.
- Events and stalls Speakers on themes of interest, local guided bushwalks, and stalls at the North Epping Street Fair and Epping Twilight Christmas Market where members of the local community are able to sell their produce or craftwork.